Saturday, December 10, 2011

Commonplace Book

'I have suffered at different times from the presumption of three distinct "possessions." Under the influence of one, I become insatiably "wicked," and have the illusion of wickedness as a thing of infinite horizons and possibilities. My sceptical reason mocks at this formidable nonsense, and hints satirically that the whole thing is due to some trifling chance of pre-natal warping.

Under the influence of another, I become preternaturally "noble," and have the illusion of "goodness" as a thing of infinite horizons and possibilities. My sceptical reason mocks at this too, and points to the atavistic presence of some blind race-instinct which would fain submerge the selfishness of the individual in the loftier selfishness of the tribe.

Lastly, and most curious of all, I have a splendid and transcendental "possession," under the influence of which I feel conscious of an invincible courage and an unconquerable contempt; a courage ready to look all accidents, all chances, all circumstances, in the face, with calm indifference; a contempt that rises magnificently above both good and evil, and feels itself the initiated accomplice of the abysmal mysteries of life and death.'

from Confessions by John Cowper Powys (Chapter III), in Confessions of Two Brothers by John Cowper Powys and Llewelyn Powys

No comments:

Post a Comment