Thursday, May 10, 2012

Commonplace Book

'"...I should like to see a bottle of Coca Cola on every table in England, on every table in France, on every -"

"But isn't it terribly nasty?" said Grace.

"No, ma'am, it most certainly is not. It tastes good. But that, if I may say so, is entirely beside the point which I am trying, if I can, to make. When I say a bottle of Coca Cola I mean it metaphorically speaking, I mean it as an outward and visible sign of something inward and spiritual, I mean it as if each Coca Cola bottle contained a djinn, and as if that djinn was our great American civilization ready to spring out of each bottle and cover the whole global universe with its great wide wings. That is what I mean."

"Goodness!" said Hughie.

from The Blessing by Nancy Mitford (Part II, Chapter Four)

No comments:

Post a Comment