Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Commonplace Book

'"...If you were a girl, you'd know that girls of seventeen aren't expected to have strange young men hanging about for them in railway stations."

"But every romance starts at a railway station - and they all end at a church. I've knocked about the world a tremendous lot, and I speak with some knowledge."

"Of the churches?"

"No; that's why the romance ends there. I meant the railway stations - Victoria above all. If I were the only man in the world..."

"But you're not. My father always fetches me away when I'm on late duty, and he'd have something to say if he found out..."

"Fathers should be deceived and not heard," answered the Kitten, with an impatient wave of the hand.'

from Ninety-Six Hours' Leave by Stephen McKenna (Chapter VI)

No comments:

Post a Comment