Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Commonplace Book

'...I have known Walter Scott long and well, and in occasional situations which call forth the real character - and I can assure you that his character is worthy of admiration - that of all men he is the most open, the most honourable, the most amiable. With his politics I have nothing to do: they differ from mine, which renders it difficult for me to speak of them. But he is perfectly sincere in them: and Sincerity may be humble, but she cannot be servile. I pray you, therefore, to correct or soften that passage. You may, perhaps, attribute this officiousness of mine to a false affectation of candour, as I happen to be a writer also. Attribute it to what motive you please, but believe the truth. I say that Walter Scott is as nearly a thorough good man as man can be, because I know it by experience to be the case.'

from a letter to Henri Beyle (Stendhal), dated May 29, 1823, in The Letters of Lord Byron

No comments:

Post a Comment