Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Commonplace Book

'...I have been here for 10 days having my back massaged by a singularly unpleasant young woman with peroxide hair and the beauty of Phyllis Dare. She is terribly sadistic and hurts me very much. However I conceal my real character and lead her on to tell me all her innermost feelings. "Don't you love Surrey, Mrs. P. I was down at Hindhead on Sunday giving my dog a run." "Don't you think dogs", violent slaps, "much more", slaps, "intelligent", bangs, "and more capable of love", bangs, "and affection than human beings", bangs. "I think", slaps, "something has been left out of human beings they are such miserable", bangs, "mean", harder bangs, "creatures", terrific bangs, "compared to intelligent dogs." Today being the last day shall I reveal my true character and shatter her? But that is probably impossible. She is made of iron...'

from a letter to Julia Strachey, dated [March 1927], in Carrington: Letters and Extracts from her Diaries

No comments:

Post a Comment