Friday, July 24, 2015

Commonplace Book

'...It seemed to me then how simple and easily attainable the elements are that make up human happiness, the thing which makes our years of living valid. Bright sun, mountains in the distance, and in the foreground scrubby fields of vine-stocks, and here and there a willow coming into bud; going somewhere on a job - the pause and gathering up of the spirit before work starts; the rush of air; above all the Solidaritaet, the comradeship. It seemed to me that any civilisation which was worth the price of its existence ought to be able to give us that. We were travelling third, wearing oldish clothes; we had a couple of oranges, and a bit of chocolate - that was all in the way of amenities. But it was spring all right. I hope I shall die when I stop feeling the spring.'

from Naomi Mitchison's Vienna Diary (March 21st)

No comments:

Post a Comment