Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Commonplace Book

"'May I ask where we dine?' I inquired, endeavouring to free the skirts of my new mackintosh from the door, which had swung to (the caravan not standing perfectly level) and jammed them tightly. I did not need to raise my voice, for in a caravan even with its door and windows shut people outside can hear what you say just as distinctly as people inside, unless you take the extreme measure of putting something thick over your head and whispering. (Be it understood I am alluding to a caravan at rest: when in motion you may shout your secrets, for the noise of crockery leaping and breaking in what we learned - with difficulty - to allude to as the pantry will effectually drown them.)"

from The Caravaners by 'Elizabeth' (Chapter III)

No comments:

Post a Comment