Sunday, August 21, 2011

Commonplace Book

'Menzies-Legh got up and went away. It was characteristic of him that he seemed always to be doing that. I hardly ever joined him but he was reminded by my approach of something he ought to be doing and went away to do it. I mentioned this to Edelgard during the calm that divided one difference of opinion from another, and she said he never did that when she joined him.

"Dear wife," I explained, "you have less power to remind him of unperformed duties than I possess."

"I suppose I have," said Edelgard.

"And it is very natural that it should be so. Power, of whatever sort it may be, is a masculine attribute. I do not wish to see my little wife with any."

"Neither do I," said she.

"Ah, there speaks my own good little wife."

"I mean, not if it is that sort."

"What sort, dear wife?"

"The sort that reminds people whenever I come that it is time they went."

from The Caravaners by 'Elizabeth' (Chapter XII)

No comments:

Post a Comment