Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Commonplace Book

'"....Somehow I cannot throw it off, that her being away should make so little difference. I could almost feel a little disappointed."

"Of course, it is awful to see human happiness," said Rachel.

"I think you know that was not my meaning."

"That is what I always mean."

"It is not always safe to judge other people by ourselves."

"I have always found it absolutely reliable."

"I think you are in jest," said Agatha with a forbearing smile, "or at any rate between jest and earnest. Your sense of humour is too exuberant."

"Is it? I had hoped it was subtle."

"Well, at any rate it runs away with you."

"Runs away!" said Rachel. "It must be exuberant."

"Are you two quarrelling?" said Geraldine.

"No, it takes two to quarrel," said Rachel.

"Well, what are you so deep in discussing?"

"My sense of humour. Your sister is describing it."

"Oh, sense of humour! I agree it does not make one popular," said Geraldine.

"A sense of humour need not be unkind," said Agatha.

"Doesn't it have to be just a little?" said Rachel.

"One may point one's shafts without realising it," said Geraldine. "When one has a selection of them, it is difficult to remember which are the sharpened ones."

"All the great instances of humour are mingled with tenderness and tolerance," said Agatha.

"Yes, that is what I meant. Only mingled with them. Just a little unkind," said Rachel.'

from Men and Wives by I. Compton-Burnett (Chapter XVI)

No comments:

Post a Comment