Monday, September 26, 2011

Commonplace Book

'This was our moment of greatest closeness so far, absurd and true - not telling each other how much we loved and so on, but here in this crowded expense-account restaurant counselling each other to be careful. It was a childish joy to me that so much was so different from all I'd been told. It was like a guarantee that we were on the right track, not inventing. If he'd swept me off my feet, shown me a new world, king-like, with one of those expansive map-unrolling gestures that some men are fond of, I'd have been forced to play the beggar-maid, wrapped in my pretended admiration like a false fur. As it was we were both the same size, small and surprised. This was how I'd always wanted it to be: the smallness of me, the largeness of it, and the chance of both of us growing.'

from A Song and Dance by PJ Kavanagh (Chapter 7)

No comments:

Post a Comment