Saturday, July 14, 2012

Commonplace Book

'She got out, swearing once with drab, staccato effect.

Then Lionel came twisted out of the murk - radiating pleasure.

"Elizabeth - you got here."

"Yes, I'm here, hun," she said. "It would be swell if you took this case - it's got books in it."

"You don't know what your coming means to me."

"I can guess. Does the train just go on and on? I mean after one gets out - does it still just go on and on? It would be interesting to stay on it and see. Or does it come back? I got so I didn't care. You look older."

After a time in the car she said, "It's extraordinary to think that people live here, isn't it? Is there much rape?"

This was better. He smiled at her with private welcome, instead of answering.

"Just of sheep after church," she added[,] beginning her trick of screwing her hair round one index finger, and looking truly like a dead cod with the pathos of yet being a human being...'

from Marching with April by Hugo Charteris (Chapter 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment