Saturday, July 7, 2012

Visions and Revisions by John Cowper Powys (1915)

These seventeen enthusiasms are joyous things. Essays on beloved authors are a very specific art, and Powys has mastered it wonderfully. That is not to say that I agree with him in all instances either; a large part of the pleasure derives from enjoying his obvious enjoyment, registering his twistings to serve his points, and his partialities that cannot be dully, servilely supported. There is fallible human delectation to be gained from that, and imagination serves up what our own choices, and biases, might be in the same circumstances. His range of choice also elucidates, more specifically, his literary bearings. He includes Dante, which many wouldn't; he mentions D'Annunzio in passing, which almost no-one would do today; he devotes an entire essay to Walter Pater, towards whom very few venture any more. The pieces on some authors feel closer to his heart than others; so, his bulging, baroque prose pulsates even more soundingly in scoring their triumphs. Some of the essays here inspire a fresh perspective on hackneyed names: Charles Lamb needs new examination, as does Milton. One I'm pretty sure I can never join him in - Edgar Allan Poe will always be beyond my personal pale, when push comes to shove, I think. Though I can sense his cleverness, and the strange nervous twist of his lurching sensibility, I can never see him as a genius. Perhaps Powys' championing will finally convince me next time I read it. If anyone could, he could.

No comments:

Post a Comment